While the saying is “bigger is better”, that definitely isn’t always necessarily the case. Small can be incredible. Whether you’re a petite lady who embraces being in the smaller side or one who wishes you were taller, there are many ways to accentuate your size just by carefully choosing what you wear. The right styles of clothing can do wonders for your overall look and can create a longer and even curvier appearance.
While there are always hot trends to follow, choosing what suits you best, in terms of both your body type and your personal preference, and regardless of what’s in trend, is a lot more important. After all, the best thing you can wear is confidence and what better way to feel confident than knowing that you like what you’re wearing and that it looks good on you. That said, we’re sharing some easy style tips for smaller sized women.
- Horizontal stripes: Wearing horizontal stripes is an incredibly easy way to create the illusion of length. Whether you prefer subtle pinstripes or wider stripes, the effect will make you appear longer.
- High waisted bottoms: Choose high waisted trousers or jeans that will elongate your legs. The high cut style makes it appear as if your waist is higher and your legs are longer, thus creating the illusion of height
Floral Pants for petite women
- Choose small sized accessories, avoid oversized: When it comes to accessories like bags, necklaces, belts, and other jewelry items, select smaller sized styles and daintier designs. Oversized accessories, like chunky necklaces, wide belts and giant bags, will appear overwhelming for petite women and should be avoided. Remember, it’s all about proportions.
- Wear long dresses in a slit: Below the knee dresses, especially long gowns, can also easily appear overwhelming for those on the smaller side because of all the fabric. A good way to avoid this is by wearing a long dress with a slit. Show some skin to avoid looking drowned in a dress.
- Colors – choose similar color tones or go monochrome: It’s all about proportion and putting together a long, lean look to create the illusion of length. A simple way to do this is through color. Whether you’re wearing a dress or separates, choose colors with similar tones or go monochrome for a seamless outfit. Don’t choose clothing in varying colors or prints that break up your outfit, dividing your upper body from your lower half and consequently, making your silhouette look smaller and shorter.
Green wool coat for small women
- Above the knee skirts: If you’re on the small side, too much fabric can swallow you up. When it comes to skirts and dresses, wearing a skirt that falls above the knee, a full on short or mini skirt can help avoid that problem.
- Cuff long sleeves shirts at the elbow: When wearing long sleeve tops, including button down shirts, it’s best to fold the sleeves up or cuff them until your elbow to again, show some skin and avoid all the bulk from the fabric.
Beige Blazer for Petite Women with 6 buttons
- Skinny jeans or trousers: Skinny style bottoms, like jeans and trousers, help lengthen your legs and are a must have for small women. This is a tried and true way to elongate your bottom half, even if you’re wearing flat shoes. Combined with a striped blazer your look is completed.
Striped Blazer combined with jeans
- Empire cut: As with high waisted trousers and jeans, wearing an empire cut dress creates the illusion of length and makes it seem as if your legs go on for miles.
- Wide leg jeans with high heels: While it is best for smaller sized women to opt for skinny or at least narrow trousers or jeans, that doesn’t mean that wide leg trousers are automatically off limits. Follow the lead of petite women like Victoria Beckham and Rachel Zoe, who walk tall and look chic in wide leg trousers and high heels. The wide leg style disguises any sky high heels that you step out in.
All black Look - Black pantsuit with high heels